CETA (Canada-EU Trade Agreement) is a far-reaching trade agreement in negotiation since 2009 between Canada and the European Union. In October 2013 an "agreement in principle" was reached and it is currently in a process of ratification.
Only a few days after the rejection by the European Parliament of ACTA, leaks of the CETA's chapter dedicated to the protection of intellectual property were published, which echoes word for word the worst parts of ACTA, as criminal sanctions and repressive copyright clauses. Also, most analysts see in CETA a rewriting of the OMPI and APIC (OMC) treaties.
Once again, this time through CETA, the European Commission is trying to bypass the democratic process in order to impose repressive measures already rejected by citizens and the European Parliament. Like ACTA, CETA is a major threat to freedom of online expression and creates legal uncertainty for Internet actors.
- Will The Canada-EU Trade Agreement Harm Our Freedoms Online?20/10/13
- No Copyright in EU-US Trade Agreement!15/03/13
- ACTA, CETA, TAFTA: Is De Gucht Again Trying to Impose Anti-democratic Repression?07/02/13
- Datalove USBs calling for Copyright Reform for each Member of the EU Parliament27/11/12
- CETA: We are not Reassured20/11/12
- ACTA, CETA, etc. Stop Denying Democracy!24/10/12
- CETA: Governments Must Protect our Freedoms!12/10/12
- [30C3] Investor-to-state Dispute Settlement: A Threat To Democracy04/03/14
- [ComputerworldUK] TTIP Update XVII03/03/14
- [GlobalPost] Canadians to see Canada-EU free trade pact legal text soon, says Fast28/02/14
- [FFII] Tentative remarks on leaked CETA IP chapter28/02/14
- [NYTimes] No Big Deal27/02/14
- [ComputerworldUK] TTIP Update XIV04/02/14
- [FT] Top Democrat puts Obama trade deals in doubt30/01/14
- Unknow: beginning of the legislative procedure of the European Parliament
- 18 October 2013: agreement in principle on a finalised text
- 6-7 February 2013: Ministerial meeting in Ottawa to conclude the agreement
- 20 november 2012: Answer given by De Guch at the Philippe Boulland's Parliamentary questions.
- 8 november 2012: Answer given by De Guch at the Hans-Peter Martin's Parliamentary questions.
- 15-26 october 2012: 13th round of negotiations at Brussels
- 10 october 2012: Workshop for INTA on CETA
- 4 october 2012: MEP Philippe Boulland (PPE) is tabling an Parliamentary questions on CETA for the EU Commission.
- 27 september 2012: 3rd INTA monitoring group for Canada at European Parliament
- 20 september 2012: MEP Hans-Peter Martin (NI) is tabling an Parliamentary questions on CETA for the EU Commission.
- 17-21 september, 2012: 12th round of negotiations at Ottawa
- 17 september: Dutch governement confirms it will not approve any ACTA'smeasures, nor in CETA, nor in any other treaty.
- 24 august 2012: Answer given by De Guch at the Tarabella's Parliamentary questions.
- 12 july 2012: EU Commission states that ACTA's chapters controversial are no longer part of CETA.
- 11 july 2012: MEP Marc Tarabella (S&D) is tabling an Parliamentary questions on CETA for the EU Commission.
- 09 july 2012: Michel Geist, a Canadian law professor, shows on his weblog that a leaks of CETA dated february 2012 reproduces the worst chapters of ACTA.
- 04 july 2012: the European Parliament rejects ACTA
- march 2012: 11th round of negotiations at Brussels
- april 2012: 10th round of negotiations at Brussels
- october 2011: 9th round of negotiations at Ottawa
- july 2011: 8th round of negotiations at Brussels
- april 2011: 7th round of negotiations at Ottawa
- january 2011: 6th round of negotiations at Brussels
- october 2010: 5th round of negotiations at Ottawa
- july 2010: 4th round of negotiations at Brussels
- april 2010: 3rd round of negotiations at Ottawa
- january 2010: 2nd round of negotiations at Brussels
- october 2009: 1st round of negotiations at Ottawa
- may 2009: beginning of the negotiations between Canada and the EU
- march 2009: Joint Report Canada-EU on establishing the scope of the Comprehensive Economic Agreement
- october 2008: Joint study Canada-EU dated, named Assessing the cost and benefits of a closer EU - Canada economic partnership
- Leaked document of November 2013 draft of CETA Dispute Settlement
- Leaked document November 2013 draft investment text
- February 2012 leaks of chapter dedicated to the protection of intellectual property
- Comparison ACTA-CETA (source: Michael Geist)
- CETA February 2012 leaks
- CETA January 2011 leaks
- CETA January 2010 leaks
- Steve Verheul's question and answer session, on the state of the negotiations, at the House of Communs, Tuesday, June 19, 2012
- See also our Portal about CETA
- Jeremy De Beer
- Michael Geist
- Le Conseil des canadiens