Who are we?
What is La Quadrature?
La Quadrature du Net is an non-profit association defending the rights and freedoms of citizens on the Internet. More specifically, it advocates for the adaptation of French and European legislations to respect the founding principles of the Internet, most notably the free circulation of knowledge. As such, La Quadrature du Net engages in public-policy debates concerning, for instance, freedom of expression, copyright, regulation of telecommunications and online privacy.
In addition to its advocacy work, the group also aims to foster a better understanding of legislative processes among citizens. Through specific and pertinent information and tools, La Quadrature du Net hopes to encourage citizens' participation in the public debate on rights and freedoms in the digital age.
The “Strategic Directions Council”
The “Directions Council”, responsible for making strategic decisions, is composed of 6 members, mostly founders of La Quadrature du Net:
- Philippe Aigrain, president of the association, and CEO of a free software company. He has authored Sharing: Culture and the Economy in the Internet Age.
- Benjamin Bayart, president of French Data Network, a French non-profit organisation which provides the same services as an ISP.
- Lionel Maurel, curator of the Library of Contemporary International Documentation (BDIC) and co-founder of the Savoirs Com1 initiative.
- Benjamin Sonntag, treasurer of the association, engineer, CEO of a Linux hosting and Internet operator company, and free software developer.
- Félix Tréguer, secretary of the association, doctoral student specialised the issues of freedom of expression online.
- Jérémie Zimmermann, spokesperson for the association, consultant-engineer specialized in co-operative technology and member of the board of the April NGO.
Although Gérald Sedrati-Dinet was a founding member of La Quadrature du Net, he did not wish to take part on this Council.
They are assisted by:
- Mélissa Richard, in charge of coordinating La Quadrature's community of volunteers and supports.
- Yoann Spicher, in charge of campaigning and coordination.
- Marie Walrafen, in charge of administration and logistics.
The collective is composed of many citizens, nationals of various countries, who contribute to the advancement of the actions and ideas of La Quadrature du Net.
La Quadrature du Net exists thanks to a great number of individual donations. They represent more than half of our funding and ensure our independence. The actions of volunteers have an even higher value.
For more information, see the Frequently Asked Questions.